Historic Bay & Dome
The great seal of the Archdiocese of St. Louis on a dark blue background and surrounded with the stars of the heavens is the dominant mosaic. The round dome mounted on the square space of the bay is supported by inverted triangular walls called pendentives. The four areas are covered with mosaics of American saints; Rose Philippine Duchesne (SE), Elizabeth Seton (SW), Mother Cabrini (NW), and Isaac Jogues and the North American martyrs (NE). The south soffit or under-arch notes important milestones of the establishment of the Catholic Church in St. Louis, the first mass, first baptism, and seal of the city.
The east soffit is dedicated to the works of charity of communities of sisters and brothers. The north soffit tells of the founding and work of the St. Vincent de Paul Society in the United States. The west soffit portrays the orders of dedicated teachers of St. Louis parochial schools. The east lunette, or half round wall speaks to the work of Joseph Cardinal Ritter in desegregating the parochial schools of St. Louis and the presentation of the Declaraion of Religious Liberty of Vatican II.
The west lunette depicts the Jesuit missionary thrust on the frontier by Frs. Jean Marquette and Pierre DeSmet, and the on-going St. Louis mission in Bolivia, South America. the Brilliant blue cornice with the vine of Christ behind the Byzantine style angels proclaiming the eight Beatitudes was in stalled in 1927.